Next was finding some way of keeping all my blanket binding together and not just scattered in the box. That is when I decided to tape a peice of cardboard across the box and then stand up the packages of binding, which worked out great. Than it was coming up with an idea of where to store ribbon, needles, my pin cushion, etc. I found an old bowl lid I wasn't using and sewed around hardened fabric and then placed the bowl in it. It made a great organizer and place to store all the extra stuff.
- Find an old shoe box and possibly a lid from a slightly bigger shoe box.
- Tape the lid to the bottom of the box.
- Push large nails up from the underside of the box, this is where you will put your thread.
- Find an old bowl that you can put in the box for extra stuff like needles, extra bobbins, scissors, etc
- Cut a piece of cardboard to fit inside of the shoe box and tape it in to hold your binding in place. (in the picture above the piece of cardboard is placed between the bowl and the binding, I made it go in curved to fit around the bowl).
- If you found a slightly larger top of a shoe box, tape it to the underside of the smaller top of the shoe box so that there is a little lip on one side where you can store additional things.
- If you don't have a larger top of a shoe box, tape the underside of your box where your nails are to ensure they don't fall out when you are moving it around.
- And tada!!! You now have a functional sewing kit that didn't cost you a thing to make. And you can decorate it any way you like to make it more glamorous. My shoe box was already kind of cute so I didn't decorate.